“The Nivison Cross Library”

24th October 2017

The school library was opened in 1939 following a generous donation from Mrs M. L. Nivison Cross, one of the governors, who handed a note to Mr T.G. Wilkinson, the headmaster, during the 1936 prize giving ceremony expressing her willingness to give a library to the school, to honour her family.

The stained glass coat of arms commemorating the donation was commissioned in 1964 and can still be seen next to that of Humphrey Perkins in the bow window of the library.

The library was temporarily relocated to Orchard Block for three years to allow for some essential class room changes. However in the Summer of 2017 after overwhelming requests from pupils, staff and alumni it was moved back to its original location.

The library was officially re-opened by Miss Walton on 24th October 2017, with the unveiling of a new plaque. Members of the Barrow Upon Soar Women’s Institute were welcomed into school to present a cheque for £200 donated generously to support the library.

The Library has been officially reopened as “The Nivison Cross Library”


Images
Click to enlarge